In July 1945, two young brothers P.P Chhabria and K.P Chhabria came to Pune from Karachi in search of a livelihood and within six months set up a small shop selling electrical cables. The retail business became quite successful. A sizable order in the mid 1950’s from the Defence Department for wire harnesses for trucks and tanks bolstered their confidence and they decided to manufacture Cables, themselves.
Starting as a small-scale industrial unit in 1956, they manufactured PVC insulated cables for the automobile industry. Finolex brand was born from “Fine” & “Flexibles” and “O” with an electric arc across it – signifying the electrical cable business the company was in. Their relentless search for growth and doughty perseverance saw them through some difficult times and in 1972 the enterprise turned into a limited company.
Since then, there has been no looking back and following a public offering in July 1983, Finolex Cables Limited embarked on a continuous process of expansion and modernization which enabled it to become the most diversified & largest cable manufacturer in the country.